$24.38–$28.24 an hour
Full Job Description
Permanent FT Support
East York Child Care Centre
$24.38 – $28.24/Hour
Shifts between the hours of 7am and 6pm
July 15, 2022
July 22, 2022
(This position is initially open to full time, bargaining unit employees of the college)
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women, Racialized, Persons with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Under the direction of the Manager, the incumbent is to prepare snacks and meals that meet the Child Care Early Years Act, Toronto Public Health and the Canada Food Guide requirements that are consistent with the philosophy of the department. The incumbent must maintain the cleanliness in a manner that meets regulatory requirements and department standards.
- Prepares 3 snacks and cooks one hot meal per day for approximately 56 children ages birth to 6 years and 14 adults.
- Assesses food needs, purchases and arranges for weekly delivery.
- Maintains housekeeping standards on a daily basis as required by the department of Health and the Child Care Early Years Act. Ensures that kitchen equipment is functioning properly and reports maintenance as required.
- Greets parents, students, visitors, delivery and trades people calling at the door, ensuring that visitors are directed to appropriate locations.
- Plans menus following Canada Food Guide, taking into consideration cost, variety, availability of foods and presentation.
- Researches and compiles menus, recipes and adapts them to suit a large group of young children and children with allergies and food restrictions.
- Ensures food supplies are properly stored to avoid contamination and that wastage is minimized.
- Prepares and delivers snacks to the infant, toddler, pre-school children and kindergarten rooms mornings and afternoons daily.
- Answers kitchen phone and takes messages.
- Contributes to daily housekeeping chores such as laundry
- Works directly with the children assisting with programming daily
- 1 year certificate or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Public Health Food Handlers Certification
- Previous experience in food preparation in a licensed child care centre, institutional setting and/or a commercial kitchen
- Successful candidates are required to submit a current Police Reference Check and medical documentation as required by the Child Care Early Years Act
- Progressive working knowledge of nutrition and food allergies.
- Proven organizational and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated sensitivity providing service in a multicultural environment
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by July 22, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0722-1088
Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).