Full Job Description
If you thrive on success and team work in a team culture, Agnico Eagle offers career opportunities on a global scale. We provide rewarding and challenging work that will help you grow your skills and your career. Agnico Eagle is committed to creating meaningful opportunities for our employees and we encourage everyone who works for us to contribute to their full potential. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We provide a safe work environment and seek to ensure all individuals are treated with respect and dignity, free from harassment, discrimination, bullying and retaliation. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Disability-related accommodations during the application and selection process are available upon request. Interested? We hope you are.
Location: Detour Lake Mine
Rotation: 14 days in followed by 14 days off
WHAT DO YOU VALUE IN A CAREER?
At Agnico Eagle, our values never waver. We believe in trust, respect, equality, family and responsibility. Why? Because they express who we are and they have helped us succeed in business for over 60 years.
WHAT DOES AGNICO EAGLE VALUE?
We value you – your unique set of skills and experience. We value your willingness to build those skills and make a meaningful contribution to our company. And, we value your commitment to treat every person on our team with respect, helping us to operate safely, protect the environment and make a positive contribution to our local communities.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Based at the Detour Lake Mine site, we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Mine Geologist to join our Technical Services team reporting to the Geology Superintendent.
Detour Lake is the second largest gold producing mine in Canada with the largest gold reserves and substantial growth potential. The open pit mine is located in northeastern Ontario, approximately 300 kilometres northeast of Timmins and 185 kilometres by road northeast of Cochrane, within the northernmost Abitibi Greenstone Belt.The mine is situated in the area of the historic Detour Lake open pit/underground mine operated by Placer Dome which produced 1.8 million ounces of gold from 1983 to 1999. The Detour Lake operation has a mine life of approximately 22 years with an average gold production of 659,000 ounces per year.
The Mine Geologist will work in a production geology team to deliver maximum ore grade to the Process Plant through accurate identification and optimal ore classification.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Promote a healthy, safe and environmentally compliant working environment;
- Ensure all ore block mark-ups are completed and checked against the ore block design plans;
- Ensure the ore design procedure is being correctly followed and all ore-polygon data is being managed correctly;
- Grade Control block model is being correctly flagged and updated with mineable provisional and final ore-polygons at the end of each month;
- Ensure that blast holes are being correctly identified and sampled and that NAG/PAG sampling is performed according to procedure in areas identified;
- Compile and evaluate geological data and report the results to improve ore body modeling, grade estimation, and ore block movement modelling;
- Clear and timely communication with other geological personnel, engineering team and mine operations team on related geological matters;
- Provide Engineering with updated drilling plans for inclusion in weekly report;
- Apply geoscience technical experience as it relates to drilling, sampling, QA/QC, grade control, dilution, cost control, reconciliation, etc.;
- Compile/ complete geological mapping and interpretations utilizing traditional or digitally-based techniques using Datamine Studio RM, Maptek PointStudio, or other software;
- Create block models making use of geological, structural and grade information required for resource/reserve estimation;
- Other duties as may be required.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology;
- Minimum five years’ experience as a production geologist, preferrably in an open pit mine;
- Registration and in good standing with the APGO or in the process of being registered;
- Eligible for registration as a Drone pilot;
- Experience using 3D software, preferably Datamine Studio RM or Maptek Vulcan;
- Experience with geological modeling and drill core logging;
- Intermediate skills with MS Office;
- Experience working at a remote work site is an asset;
- Proven commitment to health, safety and the environment;
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Attention to detail.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
Together, we are building a world-class gold mine and our success is determined by the hard work and dedication of our team. All of our team members are rewarded with a competitive benefits package and on-the-job perks, including:
- Competitive salary
- Travel Allowance
- Group benefits package
- Training and learning opportunities
Should you be the successful candidate for this role, you will be contacted by a member of our Human Resources Department to schedule an interview.
Together, we are Going for Gold in everything that we do and our success is determined by the hard work and dedication of our team.