Full Job Description
Open to both Internal and external
Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Closing date for internal CUPE applicants
Internal CUPE applicants must submit their application by 4pm on the “closing date for internal CUPE applicants” for their Seniority to be recognized. If the position is still open after that date they will be considered alongside external applicants.
Applications will be reviewed commencing the “closing date for internal CUPE applicants” and may continue until the position is filled
Auxiliary (Over 4 Months)
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
Dates: September 21st-December 1st, 2022 and January 18th,-March 30th, 2023 Non working days Nov 8th-12th, 2022 Non-working days Feb 21th-25th, 2022 10 hours a week varying days
**NOTE: This position is subject to review by the Joint Job Evaluation Committee**
Coordinates the operation of the Food Training Centre dining room functions by performing duties such as taking reservations, greeting customers, bartending, serving food, cashiering and maintaining inventories.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates the operation of dining room functions at the Food Training Centre.
- Takes reservations from customers and records in reservation book.
- Maintains and controls inventories including alcohol, wine, beer, bar mixes and linen products.
- Performs cashier duties by receiving payments from customers, maintaining daily cash float balance and summarizing daily cash sales.
- Sets up and arranges tables for meal servings.
- Performs waitress duties such as greeting customers, taking and serving meal orders, clearing tables and issuing checks for payment.
- Acts as bartender by taking orders and serving alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Performs housekeeping duties such as wiping counters, tables and chairs; re-arranges tables and settings.
- Performs other duties related to the function of the Service Coordinator as required.
Dean, Faculty of Adventure, Culinary Arts and Tourism
- Grade 10 or equivalent plus specialized training.
- Three years’ recent, related experience.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Ability to handle cash.
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with students, staff and members of the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to operate related equipment such as an electronic cash register.
- Ongoing customer contact
- Working at cash register
- Kitchen environment
- Standing for periods of time
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
CUPE Grade 04 $25.28
Please Note: This position may be subject to a 90% salary for the first 560 hours of employment.
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University -> Faculty of Adventure Culinary Arts and Tourism -> Culinary Arts Program
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
NOTE: To learn more about Thompson Rivers University or living in Kamloops or Williams Lake please visit our Career website.