$35,640 a year
|Move to Canada Through Express Entry
|Get a Job in Canada
|Study in Canada
|Get a Canadian Student Visa
|Migrate To Canada
BenefitsPulled from the full job description
Full Job Description
8/9/2022 (8:00 PM EDT)
Youth Worker I
EXECUTIVE BRANCH | FULL TIME ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME PAY | 18A | 40.0 HR/WK
Justice & Public Safety Cabinet | Department of Juvenile Justice
Boyd Regional Juvenile Detention Center
2420 Roberts Drive
Ashland KY 41102 USA
The Kentucky Department of Juvenile Justice is a multi-faceted agency that serves juveniles of the Commonwealth. While striving to hold youth accountable for their actions, the Department creates opportunities for sentenced, committed, probated, or detained youth to develop social and career skills that will equip them for re-entry into their communities as productive and responsible citizens.
The Kentucky Department of Juvenile Justice seeks to serve youth in the least restrictive, appropriate placement possible. We aspire to be a premier team of professionals committed to providing life-changing services resulting in the positive transformation of children, families, and communities.
For more information about the Department of Juvenile Justice, please visit: https://djj.ky.gov
This is a highly responsible position in the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet. The employee is expected to perform all duties to the best of their ability, act in a responsible manner at all times, demonstrate leadership qualities, and treat all staff, youth, and persons with respect. This is a demanding position that requires maturity, reliability, and self-discipline. Career growth and advancement are encouraged through training and mentoring opportunities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains custody and control of juveniles in a custodial security setting. At beginning level, supervises and monitors activities of DJJ juveniles; assists juveniles in interpersonal skill development. Escorts juveniles between various institutional areas. Takes appropriate action during emergencies to prevent escapes and suppress disorder.
- Maintains shift logs on juvenile’s activities and notifies supervisors of issues; completes incident reports as needed; assists juveniles in complaint procedures. Performs counts and/or wellness checks for juveniles. Monitors individuals entering and leaving institutional grounds. Maintains approved physical restraint technique certifications as required by DJJ policies.
- Provides support services for routine maintenance, etc.; checks premises and ensures safety of juveniles; attends staff meetings, case conferences and trainings.
- Must be able to exert physical effort in the proper restraint of residents based on behavior.
- May perform other physical efforts in assisting youth with recreational and work related projects.
- This position is deemed essential and has been designated for mandatory operations by the Appointing Authority; therefore, the incumbent is not eligible for Adverse Weather Leave.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s licenses for the length of employment in this classification.
- May be required to work overtime and any shift as needed and directed.
- Must successfully complete the Department of Juvenile Justice Training Academy; which entails two weeks on the job training, four weeks virtual training, and one week ACT (Aikido Certified Training) at the academy training location (Louisville, Kentucky). Overnight lodging and travel is required for the ACT and provided by the department.
EDUCATION: High school graduate.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: NONE
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: NONE
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: NONE
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): Must possess a valid driver’s license prior to employment in this job classification. Must successfully complete the Department of Juvenile Justice Training Academy within six months of employment. https://djj.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx Must maintain any required licensure(s), certification(s), or other credentials for the length of employment in this job classification. Employing agency is responsible for ensuring employee possesses and maintains required licensure(s), certification(s) or other credentials.
Typically works in a day treatment, group home, residential, community office setting or detention facility. May be exposed to hazards and dangers associated with operating a motor vehicle while providing transportation services.
This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 12 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D